- 500 g tinned pineapple chunks
- 50 g butter
- 50 g cake wheat flour
- 300 ml pineapple juice (reserved from can)
- 300 ml milk
- 50 g castor sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 egg whites
- 75 g castor sugar
- Caramelised fresh pineapple slices (with cinnamon or chilli if desired)
- fresh strawberries
- cream or ice cream
- Set the oven to 175 °C.
- Drain the pineapple pieces, reserving the juice.
- If necessary, add water to the juice to make 300 ml.
- Melt butter in a saucepan and stir in the flour.
- Cook on a low heat for one minute and then slowly beat in the juice.
- Bring to the boil, stirring well.
- Add milk and stir until smooth.
- Add castor sugar, egg yolks and pineapple chunks and remove from the heat.
- Pour the pineapple custard into a large oven-proof dish or 4–6 ramekins.
- In a medium bowl, whisk egg whites until soft peak form.
- Add castor sugar gradually, beating continuously until stiff peaks form.
- Spoon the meringue mixture over the pineapple custard.
- Bake for 30 minutes in the centre of the oven.
- Serve with caramelised pineapple slices, fresh strawberries, cream or ice cream.