(This recipe is for a 6 layered rainbow cake.)
- 375g butter
- 675g plain flour
- 450g castor sugar
- 9 medium eggs
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- Generous pinch of salt
- Edible food colouring – red, yellow, blue, mix red and blue for purple, mix blue and yellow for green, mix red and yellow for orange
For the icing:
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 x 250g tubs of cream cheese
- 350g icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 180C
- Grease 6 x 20cm round sandwich tins and line the bases with baking parchment.
- Cream together butter and sugar till pale yellow and light and fluffy
- Fold in sifted flour, salt and baking powder
- Mix together eggs and vanilla extract and mix into flour mixture
- Divide mixture equally into 6 bowls.
- Add different food colouring to each mixture. Mix well to incorporate
- Pour batters into cake tins and bake for around 12 minutes. Check doneness by inserting a skewer into the cake. If it comes out clean it’s done.
- Remove from oven and aallow to cool completely.
- To make the icing, very briefly beat the vanilla and cream cheese until smooth.
- Sift in the icing sugar and gently fold in with a spatula. Be careful – the more you work it, the runnier it will get, increasing the chance of splitting.
- Smear a little icing on your cake stand or plate to stick the first sponge. Start with the red, then spread with some icing right to the very edge. Repeat, sandwiching on top the orange, yellow, green, blue and finally purple sponges. Spread the remaining icing thickly all over the sides and top of the cake.
- Decorate with smarties and sprinkles
Serve! Enjoy! Yum.Me!