- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 cups peeled, cored and diced apples
- 125g (4 oz) butter
- 1 egg
- Powdered sugar for dusting
For the Caramel topping sauce:
- 1 cup (200g) granulated sugar
- 6 Tablespoons (90g) salted butter, room temperature cut up into 6 pieces
- 1/2 cup (120ml) double thick cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C).
- Grease a 9×4 inches baking pan and line it with parchment paper.
- Mix flour, sugar and cinnamon in a bowl.
- Toss in diced apples.
- Melt butter and pour in the mixing bowl.
- Beat the egg and add in the mixture. Stir until everything is combined well.
- Transfer the crumbled dough into the pan pressing the top with a spoon.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until the top is golden and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Top with caramel and dust with powdered sugar before serving
For the Salted Caramel Sauce:
- Heat the sugar in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly with a high heat resistant rubber spatula or wooden spoon until all the sugar has dissolved. Once that happens, stop stirring!
- Keep an eye on it so it doesn’t burn. It should be a lovely golden colour.
- Once sugar is completely melted, add the butter.
- Stir the butter into the caramel until it is completely melted, about 2-3 minutes.
- Very slowly, pour in the cream while stirring.
- Remove from heat and stir in the salt.
Warning: Melted sugar is VERY hot and caramel does bubble so be very careful not to burn yourself.