- 300g penna pasta
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 packet of button mushrooms, sliced
- garlic and herb seasoning
- 2 packets of bacon, diced
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 150 grams cheddar cheese , grated
For the Cheese Sauce:
- 50g butter
- 50g flour
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 2 1/2 cups of milk
- 1 cup grated cheese
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C
- Boil the penne in salted water till done but still firm to the bite (al dente), drain and set aside
- Fry the onions in a drop of oil till soft
- Add the bacon and fry till done
- Add the mushrooms and fry till soft
- Mix the onion, mushroom and bacon mixture into the cooked pasta
- Add the diced tomatoes
- Pour into an oven dish. Now make the sauce.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan.
- Stir in the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Take the pan off the heat and gradually stir in the milk to get a smooth sauce. Return to the heat and, stirring all the time, bring to the boil.
- Simmer gently for 8-10 minutes and season with salt and paprika.
- Stir in cheese and allow to melt.
- Pour the sauce over the pasta, mix gently and sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Bake in the oven till cheese is melted and golden.