- 125g butter, softened
- 1 cup castor sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 3 eggs
- 450ml cake flour, sifted
- 10ml baking powder
- 125ml milk
For the syrup
- 875ml icing sugar
- 62 ml cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp. butter, softened
- 125ml boiling water
- 500ml desiccated coconut
- Preheat oven to 180°C
- Grease a 3cm-deep, 20cm x 30cm pan. Line with baking paper, leaving a 2cm overhang on all sides.
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition
- Sift in flour and stir to combine
- Add in milk and mix.
- Spoon into prepared pan and bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and leave to cool in pan for 10 minutes before turning out onto wire rack.
- Once cool enough to handle, cut into neat squares.
- Make the icing by sifting icing sugar and cocoa into a bowl
- Add butter and boiling water. Stir until smooth.
- Place coconut in a dish.
- Carefully dip each sponge square into the syrup coating each side
- Dip into the coconut, again coating each side
- Plate and serve.